[vworld-tech] Hydra

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Mon Sep 20 14:57:46 PDT 2010

This is announcement I had wanted to make on MUD-Dev2, but as that
mailing list is still defunct, and as the subject is also perfectly
suited to this list:

I have written a server engine named Hydra.  Hydra is the successor of
DGD, and was created to take advantage of multiple processors while
simulating a single-threaded system.  It was inspired by some early,
long-running discussions on the original MUD-Dev:

    http://www.google.com/search?q=site:www.dworkin.nl+lockless
    http://www.google.com/search?q=site:www.dworkin.nl+event+rescheduling

In this it is similar to RedDwarf (formerly Project Darkstar).  However,
while RedDwarf uses pessimistic locking and deadlock detection to
discover data contention, Hydra uses optimistic concurrency control with
fine-grained locking; deadlocks do not occur.

I've put up a short web page about Hydra here:

    http://www.dworkin.nl/hydra/

Regards,
Felix Croes