[vworld-tech] Python

Jp Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Tue Apr 26 21:07:41 PDT 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 23:46:08 -0400, Brian Hook <hook_l at bookofhook.com> wrote:
>> A bit (3 or 4 projects, none with websites worth speaking about
>> (because they don't exist)).  Anything in particular you're
>> interested in? :)
>
>I'm mostly interested in whether Twisted can actually support doing a
>MUD server, or ideally a real-time system (UO-style).  I don't want to
>commit to using Python/Twisted and find out that everyone could have
>told me on day one that it sucks =)

  As was mentioned elsewhere in this thread, Twisted was initially developed for UO2.  It has come a long way since then, but the primary focus has always been multiplayer game development :)

  Twisted has been used for some high performance projects.  The most recent one I can think of is flumotion <http://www.flumotion.com/>.  I also know of several companies (my own included) using it for internal servers with high scalability and availability requirements.

  For the cases where Python doesn't cut it, performance-wise (they're more infrequent than you might expect), Python is fairly easily extensible using another language (eg, C).  To an application, having a slow, CPU-hungry implementation of an API be replaced with an implementation of the same API in C is completely transparent.  Since this lets you easily save much of the boring optimization for later in the project, it cuts the initial time until you have something that's actually usable.

  HTH,

  Jp