[vworld-tech] Ultimate MMO Platform (was OT:Dead?)

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Mar 31 10:54:35 PST 2004

On Mar 31, 2004, at 10:55 AM, Jim Purbrick wrote:

> As an initial stab, my current thoughts tend towards having replicated
> objects built from smart properties which know how to synchronise
> themselves
> across the network and smart methods which deal with distributed calls.
> Client code deals with objects as if they owned the only copy. The
> framework
> is open so that new smart property types and new smart method types
> can be
> developed to implement different blocking/prediction/reconcilliation
> behaviour, without changing client code. On top of this is a very
> general
> purpose publish/subscribe model so that objects can specify the
> objects and
> events they're interested in and be told when those things occur this
> system
> is also used to decide which objects given clients replicate.

In other words (and I'm serious here) an MMP architecture is a trivial
application of the hypothetically most robust, secure, fast,
distributed operating system.

Following this to its logical conclusion, the ideal system that we're
describing would need to be written in a language that doesn't yet
exist, running on an operating system using fundamentally different
primitives than the ones we're used to, over a network which is barely
even theoretically possible to build.

So, a better question is, what can we do with what we have today which
approximates this?  How do you emulate a real distributed operating
system reasonably well using current tools and techniques?