[vworld-tech] Some resources for ... TCP UDP

Mike Shaver shaver at off.net
Mon Jan 19 11:52:03 PST 2004

On Jan 19, Jeremy Noetzelman wrote:
> TCP does not have distinct packets, for one ... as
> stated above, it's a stream protocol, and the developer has no control
> over the TCP packet size using standard methods, if you go down to raw
> hardware obviously you can exert control.

I'm not sure if this would count as a "standard method", but Linux has
TCP_CORK, which allows the application to exert some reasonable control
over packet boundaries.

http://dotat.at/writing/nopush.html has a basic description of it, as
well as its FreeBSD near-equivalent TCP_NOPUSH.

http://lists.danga.com/pipermail/memcached/2003-August/000111.html has
some numbers for the effects that use of TCP_CORK has on the performance
of memcached (itself an interesting technology!).

Mike