[vworld-tech] Some resources for MMOG server development

Brian Hook hook_l at pyrogon.com
Sun Jan 18 16:13:02 PST 2004

> stuff is glossed over; the advice is good (e.g. "Just don't bother
> using TCP, TCP + UDP hybrid, etc - use someone else's like ENet"),
> but with almost no explanation of why.

And one more thing -- if someone wants to summarize what they feel are
the non-controversial cogent points of TCP vs. UDP, I'll gladly take
that information and add it to the article.

Right now the biggest factor is that TCP stalls all traffic if
anything comes out of order.  It also does not support multichannel
communication, so a single lost packet can back up a bunch of
unrelated stuff.  There are other issues with how it handles backoff
and congestion control, but I don't think those are as important as
the reliability mechanism causing problems.