[vworld-tech] Graphics engine question

David Wyand TheHeadGnome at gnometech.com
Fri Jan 16 09:30:24 PST 2004

> ceo wrote:
> > Ben Garney wrote:
> > If you're able to shell out the hundred bucks for a license, the Torque
> > game engine, offered by GarageGames <http://www.garagegames.com> is
>
> *inserts standard warning*
>
> Read carefully the garagegames license, which has for years contained
> some nasty "exclusivity rights" which came perilously close to "only GG
[snip]

Yep, I'd definately recommend that your read the license agreement for _any_
product you plan on using.  You'll find that the GarageGames' Torque Game
Engine (TGE) license agreement is in fact very liberal and doesn't require
you publish through them or any affiliate.  The only restriction to the $100
per source code programmer is if you or your publisher end up making over
$500k, which is when you must purchase a commercial license.

One thing to keep in mind is that the TGE is a _game engine_ rather than
just a graphics or rendering engine.  There have been a couple of people who
have purchased the TGE expecting just a scene graph and ended up getting a
simulation layer, internet-ready network layer, audio layer, etc in addition
to the scene graph.

If you've already got everything else a game needs other than a rendering
engine, the TGE may be more than you require.

Note: I'm just a happy user of the TGE and don't work for GarageGames.

- Dave
http://www.gnometech.com