[vworld-tech] Graphics engine question

Brian Popp bpopp at midsouth.rr.com
Thu Jan 15 19:41:36 PST 2004

There's also some open-source engines out there worth looking at.
CrystalSpace3D (http://crystal.sourceforge.net) is being used successfully
on an open-source MMORPG called Planeshift (http://www.planeshift.it/). The
demo looks very respectable. OGRE (http://www.ogre3d.org/) is pretty
popular, but I don't know of any mainstream commercial projects using it
yet. I've heard of a few immature projects using an engine called NeoEngine
(http://neoengine.sourceforge.net/) but I'm not sure how mature it is.

As you can expect, most of these open source engines are in a constant state
of flux so you should probably be pretty flexible and forgiving if you
choose to go this route.