[vworld-tech] Database usage

bradley newton haug bradleyhaug at verizon.net
Wed Feb 11 08:11:53 PST 2004

Brian Hook Wrote:

>Right, there was a "database is God" thread on Mud-dev a while ago on
>this subject

Sound like you've got it sussed out; chiming in here with a few thoughts
about the thread:

I'm not familiar with the current 'God' thread, but if it advocates running
direct from DB I'd have to disagree.  The current 'model' that uses direct
from db are sites like yahoo, MSN, etc, et al, ad nasuem, but I don't think
that you could get away with that in something like a mud; it lacks the
inherently accepted 'page load time' users forgive web pages for.

All the objects in my server know how to save themselves, but only do so in
context of a player possessing them, and a few npcs save between resets, but
other than I don't hit the db much.

Though you may want to store runtime data in a db that is updated every
minute or so, to avail the info to a 'status' webpage.  That's the best
argument I know of to truly melding a mud/rpg server with a db, the db can
act as a backend to any sort of client you can hook to it.

-brad