[vworld-tech] Ultimate MMO Platform

Crosbie Fitch crosbie at cyberspaceengineers.org
Mon Apr 12 01:45:59 PDT 2004

> From: J C Lawrence
> Right, and I was specifically contrasting to those systems
> which assume
> untrusted and untrustworthy nodes, and yet maintain logical
> consistency.
> PGP assumes that private keys are inviolate and trustworthy.
> The whole
> system breaks down if that assumption can't be maintained.

Trust is simply a historical measure of reliability/accuracy/quality.

Identity is simply another aspect of reliability.

If one node truly can keep its private key secret then its identity is reliable (until/unless someone breaks that private key by brute force).

If all nodes have to register their identity, then any duplication of identity should be relatively quick to detect. One can then cancel that 'identity' - it is no longer reliable/trustworthy.

Seems to me that as long as it takes N thousand or million CPUs to break an identity, that identitifiability is a sufficiently assurable aspect of nodes in a distributed system.

But, yeah, if someone writes a virus that can harvest all the private keys then sure, the trust system is effectively reset. :-{   (this wouldn't instantly lose the content, just put all the trust back to zero - briefly).