[vworld-tech] OT:Dead?

Mats Lidstrom mats.lidstrom at torpet.ac
Thu Apr 1 10:32:42 PST 2004

From: "Brian Hook" <hook_l at bookofhook.com>
> FWIW, based on my own research if I was going to write a MUD from scratch,
I would definitely
> use PIKE instead of what I'm using right now, Lua.  Lua is great for a lot
of things, but full blown
> application development...no.  The main reason I'm using Lua is that it's
purely dynamic, allowing
> me to "hot-swap" pieces of code completely, which is a handy feature.
With something like Pike
> it's not nearly as straightforward since Pike is typed (so changing a type
dynamically is a lot more
> difficult).

Well... I got just that in my mud code. I can change objects dynaminally and
unload and load code
in runtime. No need to restart it after adding code. Very handy.

Or did I misunderstand what you mean by "hot-swapping"?

> Pike also really needs a lot more documentation.  But feature wise, it
rocks.

Documentation is the big downside. I would personally like to see somthing
more like what they have at the PHP site. The ability to add comments in the
online documentation.