[vworld-tech] OT:Dead?

Mats Lidstrom mats.lidstrom at torpet.ac
Thu Apr 1 09:12:25 PST 2004

It's past the MUD I started with. I got hold of Pike many years ago and I
started out with a traditional mud-type code, but I've moved beyond that I
think. I wrote my own client and I'm currently moving over to 3D. It's a mix
of text and 3D graphics, so it's not a traditional mud nor a 3D game. I
still haven't figured out what to call that type of mud/game :) (Any
suggestions are appreciated)

My experiences with Pike are very good. It's very powerful and fast and
there's support for everything from FTP to Oracle database. I even think
someone is working on a BitTorrent module. OpenGL is there to if you need
it. Windows version too. Not much to complain about at all.

The downside is that there isn't any mud-libs for Pike for newbies to look
at. I don't know why that is, but I suspect it's a tactical move to keep
away from the mud-scene. Maybe they don't want to be profiled as a "game
driver"? No idea.

I just hope that more people will discover Pike for MUD's. If you know LPMud
coding you know Pike coding :)

http://pike.ida.liu.se For the curious :)

/Mats