[ENet-discuss] Question about enet_host_connect/enet_peer_disconnect data

Martin Man mman at martinman.net
Mon Mar 18 18:53:13 UTC 2024

Hi Lee, others…

I have noticed something undocumented that I am wondering about…

When you enet_host_connect to another peer and pass in the data parameter of X… that constant X gets passed to the remote event ENET_EVENT_TYPE_CONNECT as expected. However on the local host where the connect originated, the ENET_EVENT_TYPE_CONNECT receives 0.

Similarly, when you enet_peer_disconnect with custom data value X, that value X gets transmitted to the remote side and propagated up via ENET_EVENT_TYPE_DISCONNECT, but originating host receives the event with 0.

I am just wondering what is the thinking behind this feature. I have gotten the feeling that the same X passed to _connect and _disconnect should be propagated on both sides…

Could you please help me understand this?

thanks,
Martin