[ENet-discuss] ENet 1.3.15

Lee Salzman lsalzman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 17:48:34 UTC 2020

It's been a while, but I put up a new ENet 1.3.15 release.

The catalyst for the release was some changes/ideas contributed by
Vladimir Ivannikov to improve RTT calculations. In the spirit of no
good deeds going unpunished, those changes seemed to exacerbate
existing deficiencies in ENet's packet throttle being way too
conservative when the connection is TOO stable (i.e. localhost), so I
ended up going through and fixing performance issues there as well.

After having my Sauerbraten player volunteers hammer on the networking
code for a while to make sure everything is good again (nobody hates
unstable pings more than FPS gamers), well, everything should be good
again, and possibly better than new.

Ultimately, the RTT will be quicker to adjust on initial connection
and on connections with very low RTTs the throttle should be less
pessimistic now. Otherwise, there are a couple small bug fixes
sprinkled in too.

You can download at: http://enet.bespin.org/download/enet-1.3.15.tar.gz
Website is also updated.

Let me know if any new bugs snuck in that need to be fixed before we
publicize this more widely.