[ENet-discuss] enet_host_service() failure due to enet_protocol_receive_incoming_commands() default return.

Alastair Growcott alastairgrowcott at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 17 05:57:47 PST 2017

Hi, all.

I have written a very noddy little game mainly to test my game architecture library. It does very little, and I haven't checked, but I don't think there is an awful lot of network traffic going through ENet. Both server and client are running on the same Linux VM.

After playing the game for a very short while, I get a connection failure in the game client. enet_host_service() is returning -1, and upon investigation enet_protocol_receive_incoming_commands() is dropping through to the bottom and catching the "return -1" statement there.

Why might this be happening?
Why does the function return -1 rather than 0 as the default?
What sort of debugging do i need to do to investigate further?

I'm not asking for any psychic abilities here. I just need general information. E.g. is this likely to happen by the server sending lots and lots of packets? Or by sending big packets? Or not enough packets? Is it caused when the server is asked to send a fairly big packet and it gets cut in half on the send and the server isn't calling enet_host_service() frequently enough to process all of it or something? That -1 return must be there for a reason and presumably one of the developers (who is hopefully on this mailing list) knows what it is.

Many thanks.

Alastair.