[ENet-discuss] Only next to last packet out of order?

Pablo de Heras Ciechomski pablo.deheras at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 09:07:03 PDT 2015

Hi,

1) I am sending with unreliable packets < MTU
2) I am sending packets in bursts (30 or more but less than 70 in a short
time)
3) I have tested with the server and the client on the same machine
4) I have tested with the server and the client on the different machines

Now the weird part.

I send the packet bursts like this

0 1 2 3 4 .... n

and received them as

n-1 0 1 2 4 ... n

Meaning the next to last packet goes out first on the line. I know that I
send them in order because if I change to reliable sending the order is
correct 0 to n.

Is this due to ENet internal buffers or due to some network drivers?

I found this while trying to home brew a packet loss formula
(maxPacketIndex-minPacketIndex kind of thing) and saw how packet loss
peaked and fell in periods. This is due to the first packet being much
larger index indicating a fake packet loss with this strategy.

Best regards,

Pablo