[ENet-discuss] Huge latency issue with larger unreliable packets

Lee Salzman lsalzman at gmail.com
Mon May 5 02:50:38 PDT 2014

Even if you were doing almost everything wrong I don't see how you could
get a 30s latency on packets just by mishandling ENet settings. There is
nothing that would be limiting it that drastically except the OS network
stack/hardware itself. Make sure the computers are actually capable of
sending 1MB/s back and forth, as that is the only thing I could think of.

Also if you're sure there's almost no packet loss, you can try
ENET_PACKET_FLAG_UNRELIABLE_FRAGMENT so that those large packets don't get
forced reliable. Though to lose even a single 1400 byte fragment of the
115200 byte packet will mean the entire packet gets lost, so this is not a
good idea, IMO... By default, there's not really such a thing as an
unreliable 115200 byte packet unless you use that flag, though, since the
default is that fragmented packets get set to reliable.