[ENet-discuss] Managing the send queue

Mark Beiline markbeiline at gmail.com
Sat May 3 08:49:46 PDT 2014

Hi, I just realized something that could significantly affect performance,
sort of worried about it.

In my game the server broadcasts a message for client positions every frame
(actually I limited it to 30 times per second). I understand that these
messages are added to the send queue. The issue is that only the most
recent addition to the queue is relevant and I'd like the server to forget
about any earlier packets on that channel. How can I arrange this with
ENet? Is this what the unsequenced flag does? Or maybe I could set that
queue's length to one, but I'm not sure what property I need to use for
that. But then what about other reliable messages on different channels (I
keep a channel for the position updates and other channels for more
specific stuff), do they have separate queues so they can still function
the standard way?

Thanks a lot!