[ENet-discuss] ENet 2.0 most wanted features?

Adrian Friedli adi at koalatux.ch
Tue Apr 30 07:17:21 PDT 2013

Hi

On Tuesday 30 April 2013 11.43:46 Lee Salzman wrote:
> Aside from IPv6 support, are there any other big things people would want
> that are none-the-less realistic and not overly complicated?

I'ts nice to hear, that you are planning to add IPv6 support. :-)

When I read this, it came to my mind, that I did patch enet a while ago for
adding IPv6 support. We are using it in the space shooter Orxonox[1] since
then. But I did never manage to submit a proper patch to you, sorry for that.

The code lies in my own git repository[2], which I converted from CVS before
you started using git. As you are now using git, too, I could easily rebase it
to your codebase. Just tell me if you are interested, and if I find time I can
start with the rebasing.

The most important API change was to change the ENetHostAddress to store IPv6-
adresses and store IPv4 adresses internally as "IPv4-mapped IPv6 addresses".
"IPv4-mapped IPv6 addresses" are not passed to the operating system, altough
some OSes would be happy with that, instead separate sockets for IPv4 and IPv6
were used.

Cheers, Adi

[1] http://www.orxonox.net/
[2] http://git.koalatux.ch/?p=adi/enet-ipv6.git