[ENet-discuss] Sending big reliable message

Doug Warren dwarren at thebigwave.net
Tue Apr 30 06:16:28 PDT 2013

enet_host_service has a built in timeout if no packets are received.  By
only calling it every 20ms you are introducing a fair amount of latency
into the processing of the packets.  What I had best luck doing is running
it enet on a background thread with an incoming/outgoing queue of messages
to/from the main threads with a 10ms timeout in enet_host_service,
something like:

static int SERVER_UPDATE_TIMER = 10;

    while (!_serverClosed && ((result = enet_host_service(_enetHost,
&event, SERVER_UPDATE_TIMER)) >= 0))
    {
        // Process event
        // Process outgoing events