[ENet-discuss] Questioning a server without connecting to it

Ruud van Gaal ruud at racer.nl
Fri May 25 09:56:37 PDT 2012

In that case, wouldn't just typical multiplayer prediction logic be better?
I don't expect that you'd get 60Hz packets neatly over the internet (you do
over LAN though), but I could be wrong there.

How about letting the server send out update packets for the ball;
position+velocity. The clients handle time offsets (wrt the server) and
ballPos=position+t*velocity.
I do that type of interpolation (prediction really) in my racegame, and it
works better than expecting packets to drop in neatly every 1/60th of a
second.

You probably looked into this, otherwise check out Half-Life 2's
multiplayer page on prediction/lag. There's a bunch of ways to either
predict (HL2 really takes the last 2 packets and interpolates between
those; I take the latest packet and start interpolating from there, to
combat lag).
The tricky part is getting a good client time offset (to calculate a
servertime which is quite correct on all clients; something which can be
tested by flashing the screen every second for example, quite a nice visual
test).

The only real events for a tennis ball are when it gets hit, which will be
the main concern. But if clients predict this as a player hits the ball,
you'd see virtually no lag.

Ruud