[ENet-discuss] ENet bandwidth problems

Pablo de Heras Ciechomski pablo.deheras at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 13:29:43 PDT 2012

Hello,

I am playing around with unreliable unordered packets in ENet and I am
trying to figure out why I am not transferring fast enough. My packets are
all around 1800 bytes and are sent continuously. I seem to get the same
speed on most any machine independent of wifi/Gigabit LAN/local intra-
process communication. This is disturbing to me as I don't understand
why. I am using the same loop as in the tutorial and I am getting no more
than 250kB/s transfer rates, when it should be around 10MB/s in the best
scenario. Is it due to all the packet_create calls? Is it due to some
internal
throttling? Packets don't seem to be lost so I am at loss :-)

I changed the timer to 0 ms wait on the host loop function if that makes
any difference, but it doesn't seem so. Adding or removing a 5m Sleep
(windows function so working on the whole process) doesn't seem to make
any change other than making the whole system unresponsive if removed.

Pablo