[ENet-discuss] ENet and transient network failures

Jay Sprenkle jsprenkle at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 07:07:34 PDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 8:54 AM, Pontus Bergsten
<pontus_bergsten at yahoo.se>wrote:

> Consider the case when two ENet nodes communicates over a network where
> transient failures are common, e.g. a bad WiFi connection.
>
> If one node receives a DISCONNECT event from ENet, is one guaranteed that
> the disconnected remote node will also receive a DISCONNECT event?
>
> Or is there a possibility that one ENet node could consider the connection
> broken for a short while, while the other node will consider the connection
> alive during the transient network outage?

This is always a problem for anything using a network. There's nothing
specific to ENet or networking. If a system crashes/gets physically
disconnected then the ENet library will time out and consider the system
disconnected. I believe the time is set to 30 seconds by default.

---
"There's a zombie outbreak!  Oh, no, wait a second...  It's just a bunch of
kids texting."