[ENet-discuss] ENet and Me (AKA How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Networking Made Well)

Nicholas J Ingrassellino nick at lifebloodnetworks.com
Tue Oct 19 06:22:53 PDT 2010

I just wanted to put in my two cents.

As anyone who has been watching my headaches on this mailing list I have
been playing with ENet a lot as of late. As much as a new guy can, I
have put it through its paces. I have also put a few other networking
libs that the game development community considers good through their
paces. For reliable UDP, ENet is heads above the rest. I have tested it
over FiOS and cellular links and tried my best to break it. ENet has
stood up to insane amounts of large and small packets. It eats little
resources (my previous thread about CPU usage happened to the rest of
the libs as well) and is easy to use (once you figure out a few things
not included in the terse tutorial).

My hat off to ENet!

One feature request: A better manual/howto. Perhaps in the future I will
write one myself and share. Perhaps.

Nicholas J Ingrassellino
LifebloodNetworks.com <http://www.lifebloodnetworks.com/> ||
nick at lifebloodnetworks.com <mailto:nick at lifebloodnetworks.com>

"The idea that I can be presented with a problem, set out to logically
solve it with the tools at hand, and wind up with a program that could
not be legally used because someone else followed the same logical steps
some years ago and filed for a patent on it is horrifying."
- John Carmack on software patents