[ENet-discuss] Best practises for synchronizing states

Philip Bennefall philip at blastbay.com
Wed Nov 24 18:27:50 PST 2010

Hi Nicholas,

So you send key presses reliably, and then wait for the server to respond back with a new state? What happens if a player fires their weapon, for instance, is this sent reliably? I guess my main confusion is what should and what should not be reliable traffic. It would make sense to me that gunshots were reliable, where as individual movement steps could be sent unreliably as you say. Now let's say that the client takes a step, do you then render the movement animation immediately before you get the response back from the server and then correct it if the server refuses, or do you wait for the server to accept the move? If the former, what happens if the client moves but he's not allowed to, do you just silently bounce him back? If the latter, wouldn't there be a noticeable delay between the key press and the actual movement since we need at least one roundtrip for that?

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall