[ENet-discuss] 1.2.2 and 1.3.0 *PRE*-release

Adam D. Moss aspirin at ntlworld.com
Fri May 21 06:27:25 PDT 2010

Lee Salzman wrote:
> So, I was playing around with packet compression for Sauerbraten using
> an adaptive range compressor. It turned out that did not work out so
> well on Sauerbraten's data, because I had already so tightly quantized
> it that the gains were small. But since the packet compressor was still
> good on other data besides Sauerbraten's and was of higher quality than
> other similar performing range compressors I could find, I decided to
> keep it in ENet.

I must say, this is one of the simpler and most straightforward (which
means trustworthy, to me!) range coders I've seen, and being part of
ENet I trust its quality and license.
On the other hand, it seems so useful that I'd love to use it not just
in the context of ENet - any chance of fleshing-out the docs/commentary
of compress.c a bit?  I'm not asking for it to be exposed as an official
ENet API, just some good clues on re-using the compressor.
Thanks a lot!