[ENet-discuss] File transfers w/ e-net

Mike Diehl mdiehl at diehlnet.com
Thu May 13 11:01:12 PDT 2010

On Wednesday 12 May 2010 5:46:52 pm Chris Jurney wrote:
> Agreed.  You might look for something better suitted to transferring files
> than eNet like the File Transfer Protocol.  TCP has had a lot of effort
> poured into it to solve exactly this sort of problem.
>
> 2010/5/12 Thorbjørn Lindeijer <bjorn at lindeijer.nl>
>
> > On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 08:23, Mike Diehl <mdiehl at diehlnet.com> wrote:
> > > The project that I'm working on will require the ability to move files
> >
> > to/from
> >
> > > the client and server.
> > >
> > > Is there any example code or advice anyone would like to offer?
> >
> > I don't think ENet is very suitable for this use-case, and I'd
> > definitely expect the second option to work better. But did you
> > consider transferring the files outside of ENet, using a more suitable
> > protocol like for example HTTP? Just because your game uses ENet
> > doesn't mean you have to use it for everything. :-)

I guess a third option would be to use an http client/server library and just
do the download in a separate thread.  However, this makes firewall/nat more
difficult because I might have to deal with proxy config, etc.  It also
precludes me from using e-net's native traffic priority mechanism to keep
the "important" stuff coming while the download works at a lower priority.
(higher channel number?)

With these comments, is this still the consensus of best practice?

--

Take care and have fun,
Mike Diehl.