[ENet-discuss] Compression algorithm

Alexander Shyrokov sj at sjcomp.com
Wed Mar 24 10:28:48 PDT 2010

> I'm currently thinking of what compression algorithm would be best to implement into a ENet based game?
> Compression algorithms like ZIP would couse to much overhead. Algorithms like ZIP are designed for compressing huge files and not small network packets. What algorithm can be used for this?
> What are you guys using in your projects?
Usually a compressor will have a compression table and the actual data
compressed using this table. Have the same table on both ends and you do
not have to transmit it in every packet. This will have zero overhead.
It is harder to achieve the best compression possible but it still will
be better than plain data.

Alexander