[ENet-discuss] When is the ping stable ?

Ruud van Gaal ruud at racer.nl
Mon Jan 11 05:40:56 PST 2010

It never really is stable, but that's inherent to any network.
What you need to do in your app is to build some filtering in the calculated
ping time, so that it can't change too quickly. You just average out and
skip seemingly very off values (spikes).

Then also, everything you send out should be timestamped according to server
time, and as clients can also know the ping time (from asking the server for
example) you can relate server time to client time quite precise. Not even
needed that the packet reception time is stable, as long as it arrives you
can relate the packet times back to what it was on the server (every
server-sent packet contains servertime, and you can deduce other times from
that using the averaged out ping time).

Ruud

  _____