[ENet-discuss] Tracking Connections

Nicholas J Ingrassellino nick at lifebloodnetworks.com
Thu Aug 26 14:26:37 PDT 2010

I am pretty new to the *ENet* library (and network programming in
general). I have done a few test games with *HawkNL* but that is about
all and was at least one year ago.

With the help of the *ENet* tutorial on the site I have built a server
and client that can pass data back and forth (I was so happy). The
tutorial, however, has left at least two things unclear to me:

   1. How can I send data reliably but unsequenced? How can I send data
      unreliably but sequenced?
   2. How can I track connections when more than one client is connected?

I know there are /ENET_PACKET_FLAG_RELIABLE/ and
/ENET_PACKET_FLAG_UNSEQUENCED/ via the headers. The tutorial does not
when mention /ENET_PACKET_FLAG_UNSEQUENCED/ nor its expected behavior so
I am left to assume. Judging by the variable names I think these are
meant to be used in bit flags? I have also noticed that
/ENetEvent->peer/ has a few members that might be what I am looking for
when tracking connections (/outgoingPeerID/, /incomingPeerID/,
/connectID/, /outgoingSessionID/, /incomingSessionID/) but I am unclear
on which of these to use if any.

Nicholas J Ingrassellino
LifebloodNetworks.com <http://www.lifebloodnetworks.com/> ||
nick at lifebloodnetworks.com <mailto:nick at lifebloodnetworks.com>

"The idea that I can be presented with a problem, set out to logically
solve it with the tools at hand, and wind up with a program that could
not be legally used because someone else followed the same logical steps
some years ago and filed for a patent on it is horrifying."
- John Carmack on software patents