[ENet-discuss] Real advantage of using multiple channel

Black Phoenix blackphoenix at online.ua
Wed Apr 28 12:50:01 PDT 2010

Hello!

I am writing a multiplayer game, and I have partially solved network instabilities by adding a certain variable visual delay between rendering and "server loop". There is 100 msec buffer (4 frames at 30 FPS), which is not rendered. Human perception doesn't yet notice delay of 100 msec, but it can matter. In my game, updates are sent at half the server FPS (15hz).

This usually allows to compensate for small variations in incoming data rate, and to "stabilize" data to be rendered (only each 2nd game frame is sent, every even frame is reconstructed by interpolation).

Every time frame is received, the frame history is updated, and all frames which follow it are extrapolated (in case this is an "old" frame - a frame that updates frames history). The arriving frame is always the newest one (the client drops all frames which have number lower than previous received one).

But this is only against small errors, if you're getting 40 packets at once, that means you lost data for about 3 seconds? Sounds like something's terribly wrong with the network itself.