[ENet-discuss] Reliable packets and data sending approaches

Chris Jurney jurney at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 12:10:02 PDT 2009

When you're picking your update rate, keep in mind users' up channel
limitations.  128kbit is a very common cap in Internetland.  I think the
size of an unreliable eNet header (~32 bytes) + UDP (8 bytes) + IP (20
bytes) gives you a minimum packet size of roughly 60 bytes.

Upstream header overhead = 60 byte header * rate * 8 bits/packet

If you send at 60/s, you'll have at least 29kbit of packet overhead before
you send your first byte of payload.  If you're on a console, that overhead
potentially goes up with their wrapper as well.

(I'm not 100% sure of my size number for eNet because we have fiddled with
headers a bit)

Chris

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lee Salzman" <lsalzman1 at cox.net>