No subject

Sat May 2 20:29:37 PDT 2009

someone can spot something wrong.

Currently I've been seeing delays up to 6 seconds on some messages we are
sending.  It doesn't happen all the time however it happens sporadically. We
have enet's flow control turned off. Note the unreliable messages are just
as important as the reliable messages. When we see it roundtriptime will
spike for a second and then go back to normal when it finishes.

We use roundtriptime from enet to resend unreliable packets (with updated
information) when we don't get an acc back. We cap this to .5seconds (ie if
latency is above this then we send it again anyway).

I've a feeling its related to message flooding.   Normally our transmission
is about 4kbits per second but can spike to 10kbits per second (note the
data I have is averaged so I don't know the worst case).

We use both unreliable and reliable messages.  Our unreliable messages are
set to  a maximum packet size of 1kbytes which can be hit some times.  Is
1kbyte a good size?  What size have people found to be optimal for lowest
latency sending of messages.

Also what is a good rate to send/receive the packets at?

Is it possible tht enet is throwing away unreliable packets if it can't send
them?  Is it possible to know when this happens so I can handle it?

Out users machines are standard everyday PCs with standard internet
connections (ie 256down and 64up).  However we even see problems on faster
connections as well.  On really high bandwidth/low latency connections we
don't see the issue.

Any tips?

--001e680f0fb83ba3f0046ab5aa23

ences=A0with packet loss or large delays in=A0transmission=A0they&#39;ve ha=
&#39;m going to try provide as much info as possible in case someone can sp=
ot something wrong.</div>
n some messages we are sending. =A0It doesn&#39;t happen all the time howev=
er it happens=A0<span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"border-collapse: =
collapse; font-family: Arial; white-space: pre; -webkit-border-horizontal-s=
pacing: 2px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 2px; ">sporadically.   We hav=
e enet&#39;s flow control turned off.  Note the unreliable messages are jus=
t as important as the reliable messages.  When we see it roundtriptime will=
 spike for a second and then go back to normal when it finishes.</span></di=
v>
hite-space: pre; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 2px; -webkit-border-ver=
 style=3D"border-collapse: collapse; white-space: pre; -webkit-border-horiz=
ontal-spacing: 2px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 2px;">We use roundtrip=
time from enet to resend unreliable packets (with updated information) when=
 we don&#39;t get an acc back.  We cap this to .5seconds (ie if latency is =
above this then we send it again anyway).</span></div>
 Normally our transmission is about 4kbits per second but can spike to 10kb=
its per second (note the data I have is averaged so I don&#39;t know the wo=
rst case).=A0</div>
reliable messages are set to =A0a maximum packet size of 1kbytes which can =
be hit some times. =A0Is 1kbyte a good size? =A0What size have people found=
 to be optimal for lowest latency sending of messages.</div>
iable=A0packets if it can&#39;t send them? =A0Is it possible to know when t=
his happens so I can handle it?</div>
ard internet connections (ie 256down and 64up). =A0However we even see prob=
lems on faster connections as well. =A0On really high bandwidth/low=A0laten=
cy=A0connections we don&#39;t see the issue.</div>

--001e680f0fb83ba3f0046ab5aa23--