[ENet-discuss] ENet package broadcasting

Boris bstih at zootfly.com
Wed Feb 25 06:34:45 PST 2009

Erik Beran wrote:
> I suggest reading the physics, network, and drop-in coop articles
> on http://gafferongames.com/  They will give you ideas and point you
> in the right direction.
>
> /Erik
>
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:28 PM, Nuno Silva
> <little.coding.fox at gmail.com <mailto:little.coding.fox at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I'm by far not the smart one regarding networking, but i think
>     it's about you waiting for players to send their input that's
>     making everything super slow. The server should be independent
>     from clients.
>
>     On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 7:41 AM, Boris <bstih at zootfly.com
>     <mailto:bstih at zootfly.com>> wrote:
>
>         Espen Overaae wrote:
>
>             Hello, and at the risk of sounding arrogant and condescending,
>

>                 Because of our fixed time step, we wait every client
>                 to send its input to
>                 every one. When data arrives, we update next frame.
>

>             that is a bad idea,
>

>                 But the problem is that it takes way to long for data
>                 to arrive from client
>                 to server or vice versa.
>

>             and that is why.
>

>                 So my question is, what could cause such big lag? The
>                 data can take even
>                 half a second to arrive. When sending text messages,
>                 or ping messages it
>                 appears to work properly. The data arrives with
>                 minimal delay.
>                 The size of input data that we are sending is about
>                 120 bytes depends on
>                 amount of inputs pressed.
>

>             I assume you're sending the packets over a LAN, since
>             packets over the
>             internet often take as long as half a second to arrive. If
>             you are,
>             then I have no idea what could be wrong, sorry.
>

>             Espen Overaae
>             8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.3/1968 - Release Date:
>             02/23/09 18:22:00
>
>             Hellow again, thank you for such quick reply.
>
>         Hellow again, thank you for such quick reply...
>
>         Please elaborate your first statement.
>
>             / Because of our fixed time step, we wait every client to
>             send its input to
>
>         />/ every one. When data arrives, we update next frame.
>         /
>         that is a bad idea,
>
>         Why do you think this is a bad idea, do you have any other
>         idea. I know that
>         our idea is not cheat safe. But we see only this, as a major
>         problem in our
>         idea. And ofcoarse our code is for LAN only. Internet is
>         another story.
>
>         Thank you in advance...

Hellow,

I found one interesting thing. I am sending packets every frame from PC1
to PC2. One packet holds an integer number representing index value of
packet or frame.
Packet 1 of frame 0 has index 0, Packet 2 of frame 1 has index 1, packet
3 of frame 2 has index 2, ... and so on.

When I call enet_host_service on the PC2 and lets say I am still on
frame 0, I receive a couple of packets from PC1 with index 0,1,2, and
some more. Why is that so.

I believe, when I want to send packets from PC2 to PC1 they are sent
when every packet from PC1 has arrived to PC2. Is this the way ENet
works? Do I have to set anything to tell ENet that when a packet
arrived, clear it from que or something.

What I am trying to do is, if I send one packet with index 0 on frame 0
from PC1, I want that only this packet is received on frame 0 on PC2.

I was thinking of premature returning from enet_host_service when data
arrived, but I am afraid that the stack overflow of qued packets will
occur.

Thank you again...