[ENet-discuss] NAT hole punching with Enet - query on an approach

Shawn Yarbrough shawnyar217 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 27 05:08:05 PDT 2009

You possibly might want to do your hole-punching with plain UDP packets before you bring ENet into the connection. Because UDP has no strict notion of a connection, you can send UDP packets one at a time in whichever direction(s) you need to accomplish the hole punch.

Then set up an ENet connection from client to server over the same UDP port numbers. The firewalls involved won't know the difference between the original UDP packets and the later ENet packets.

Note I have not done this but I do know it is how UDP is supposed to work.