[ENet-discuss] Unreliable disconnects when shutting down

Daniel McGarry Dan at doublefine.com
Tue Apr 29 14:26:41 PDT 2008

Hey guys,

I'm new to the list, so this may have been discussed before.  I browsed
the archives and didn't find anything obvious, so here goes:

I'm trying to organize my "shutdown" sequence so that my peers have
their ENET_EVENT_TYPE_DISCONNECT event triggered immediately as I feel I
shouldn't have to wait for the timeout.  Also, I'd really prefer not
having to sit in some sub-loop for 3 seconds or have my shutdown
sequence happen asynchronously.  I was hoping to find an enet function
that would send off my disconnect command right away so that I can
safely call enet_host_destroy and enet_deinitialize immediately
afterwards.  I know that my peer's may not be *guaranteed* to receive my
disconnect command, but that's not a tremendous concern.

So far, every enet_peer_disconnect call I make does not cause my peer's
DISCONNECT event to be triggered.  I had assumed that
enet_peer_disconnect_now would be just what I was looking for, but alas,
no disconnect events are ever triggered on peers.  I can't imagine that
my packet loss is that severe, so I'm assuming its behavior is not what
I'm expecting.

Has anyone run into this?  How did you handle it?

Thanks

Dan McGarry