[ENet-discuss] ENet and NAT?

Ruud van Gaal ruud at racer.nl
Fri Sep 28 08:46:00 PDT 2007

Hi,

I'm new here, just starting implementing ENet as middleware. Halfway I'm
wandering how ENet goes along with routers & NAT tables.
My old implementation:
- client/server model
- open a UDP connection at port 25000
- write & receive over this port
- distinguish between different clients by looking at the sending IP address

In ENet I see it works more like tcp:
- open a UDP server at port 25000
- client connects and gets another UDP port to communicate with
- each client seems to write over its own UDP connection with its own port
- distinguish clients by which socket the message came in through

If indeed the client, after the initial connection phase, starts
communicating over another port, doesn't this mean trouble with
firewalls/NATs? It seems the port is dynamically chosen.

Thanks for any insights,
Ruud