[ENet-discuss] Reliable Sequence Numbers overflowing

Ben Moreno ben at blitwise.com
Thu Oct 11 13:41:33 PDT 2007

I've been running into what seems to be a bug when sending a very
large number of reliable packets over an ENet connection. Everything
will be going fine, then the channel that's being used will just stop
getting any packets. No disconnect notice, just no packets. Other
channels continue to work.

While poking around the ENet source to try to find the cause, I
discovered that _ENetPeer.outgoingReliableSequence number, and the
other 16 bit variables it influences are overflowing. I suspect this
may be the cause of the bug I'm seeing.

My question is, would outgoingReliableSequence overflowing cause
reliable packets to stop being delivered? Is there a reason it's 16
bit instead of 32? I see a couple of other variables who are
influenced by outgoingReliableSequence, who's type would also need to
be changed to enet_uint32. Are there any things who's size needs to
be changed that I might have missed?

Thanks,
Ben