[ENet-discuss] Ping servers

Martin Sherburn spacedude at konggame.co.uk
Thu Nov 29 17:17:08 PST 2007

Daniel Cousley wrote:
> As near as I can tell you could use:
>
> enet_peer_ping 	(ENetPeer * 	peer);
>
> To send a ping.
>
> And if your desire is to find the time it takes to ping a server, that is set in ENetPeer->roundTripTime.
>
> The full documentation for it can be found here:
> http://enet.bespin.org/group__peer.html#ga8

Yes, right I'm aware of that function. But in order to use that function
I need to already have an enet connection between the client and the
server. This means the client needs to connect to the server first, send
some ping requests, then disconnect. I was kinda hoping to be able to
avoid all the extra connection overhead required. Well its not the end
of the world, I was just interested if somebody else has already done
this and had any thoughts on the subject. I did a bit more searching on
the net and it seems the ICMP is not very reliable, in that a lot of
ISPs/Firewalls will just block these ping request completely. So I'm
kind of coming round to the idea that the solution using enet might be
better.

Martin.