[ENet-discuss] ENet 1.1 Really Soon Now

Lee Salzman lsalzman1 at cox.net
Thu May 31 00:41:01 PDT 2007

Hi all,

	I figure it's been a while since the 1.0 release, and Sauerbraten's
version of ENet has diverged enough that I should
probably put out a new release (1.1). It's pretty much just what's
been sitting in Sauerbraten CVS for a while (and what's in enet CVS
now), but there are some nice little additives in it, nothing
earth-shattering, though. Here is the rough summary of changes:

* optional CRC32 just in case someone needs a stronger checksum than UDP
provides (--enable-crc32 configure option)
* the size of packet headers are half the size they used to be (so less
overhead when sending small packets)
* enet_peer_disconnect_later() that waits till all queued outgoing
packets get sent before issuing an actual disconnect
* freeCallback field in individual packets for notification of when a
packet is about to be freed
* ENET_PACKET_FLAG_NO_ALLOCATE for supplying pre-allocated data to a
packet (can be used in concert with freeCallback to support some custom
allocation schemes that the normal memory allocation callbacks would
normally not allow)
* enet_address_get_host_ip() for printing address numbers
* promoted the enet_socket_*() functions to be part of the API now
* a few stability/crash fixes

Only caveat to it is that it is incompatible protocol-wise with the 1.0
release. Otherwise, it should really be used anywhere and everywhere you
were using ENet 1.0 since it's just all-around better.

I will be putting this up in the next day or so. Just a heads-up.