[ENet-discuss] Porting enet to Nintendo DS homebrew, patching holes

Josh Szepietowski goosey at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 08:38:46 PST 2007

Greets,

I am currently attempting to port enet (so wonderful a library :)) to the
Nintendo DS homebrew platform using the dswifi library (
http://akkit.org/dswifi/) along with DevKitARM/libnds
(http://www.devkitpro.org/).
This is going well (enet is very easy to port, and dswifi has a
nearly-complete Berkeley Sockets interface :)), but there are some socket
constants/functions/struct missing in the platform library. I am attempting
to get in touch with the dswifi project head, but in the meantime I was
hoping you nice chaps might have some advice. :)

These symbols are expected (and missing):
 - SOL_SOCKET
 - SO_RCVBUF
 - SO_SNDBUF
 - SO_BROADCAST
 - SOMAXCONN

I am worried that missing the SOL_SOCKET and associated socket options
constants might mean this functionality is missing. Hopefully I will hear
back soon if this is the case, but assuming the worst is there any advice
for safely extracting these from the enet port?

SOMAXCONN seems more likely to just be a missing constant then a missing
feature, unless I am missing something? :)

The function gethostbyaddr(..) is missing in dswifi. The gethostbyname(..)
function is present, but I am unsure (very new to socket programming) if
this is safe to use in it's place. From googling it looks like it should be
'ok', but anyone have a warning to fire off before I blunder?

In dswifi inet_ntoa(..) was not found, but it doesn't look too bad to author
my own..

The last things missing are the msgHdr struct and the sendmsg(..)/rcvmsg(..)
functions (which use it). Since dswifi doesn't support this I fear I am
going to either need to replace these in my enet port with
sendto(..)/recvfrom(..) or author the msg functions internally using
sendto(..)/recvfrom(..). Anyone have any thoughts on this? I have been
trying to research it, but am not sure exactly how sendmsg(..)/rcvmsg(..)
internally function at this point.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

--
Josh Szepietowski