[ENet-discuss] adapting enet to include tcp

Davin Gibb davin.gibb at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 21:49:47 PST 2007

Hi all, I know this might seem like a stupid question, but hear me
out. I liked the abstraction enet has separating the platform
specifics from the developer, and had wondered, whether there had
been any moves to use enet for tcp sockets.

I've looked through the cvs snapshot, and indeed do see some
evidence, that someone somewhere had thought about this. Ideally
passing a flag at socket create to chose between the two (dgram or
stream), and then use enet_host_service like you would normally.
Since enet_host_service() kicks off a lot of the value add features
over generic udp sockets, possibly a big if statement to block out
all that stuff if the socket is of type stream.

Anyway in my head i know where i'd like to start and i'm happy to do
this, as i think for my use i do have a few reasons why i'd like to
stick with bread and butter tcp, and yet use enet's udp sockets on
the same host for different clients. But since i saw some evidence in
the code that someone had thought about this, I wanted to check in
case i was embarking on something redundant.

Lastly i did go through the archives and hadn't seen much on this
topic. Thanks in advance, Davin.