[ENet-discuss] Peer starving problem....

Nono BEZMan nonobezman at yahoo.com
Fri May 26 18:02:20 PDT 2006

Hi all,

I have used enet for a while now, and we just came
across this issue which we could not resolve:

- Setup: we have one client talking to one server
(enet_host_service every 20 ms) on a DSL connection.

- Test1: client send packets of 512KB to server back
to back, using only one peer. Everything goes fine.

- Test2: client sends packets of 512KB on more than
one peer (2-3 in general). All peers are disconnected
after one minute or so, but one which goes on once it
"killed" the other ones.

We have also tried to send 4kB (or 2KB) packets with
50 peers at the same time.... at the end most "starved
to disconnection", except for a few ones (like a
dozen) which then went on happily forever. The bigger
the packet, the less peer at the end of the fight.
With 1K packets we ended up with ~20 peers, with 2KB
about 12 peers and with 4KB we had ~6 peers still
going at the end.

We even tried to randomize the order in which the
peers where serviced in send_outgoing_commands to no
avail.

It is very puzzling to me, as enet being UDP based, I
do not see why peers starve to death after some point.
Sending 512KB packets back to back (and maxing our
upload connection at 50kKB) works fine until we add a
second peer....

We tried Enet 1.0 (latest CVS) as well as previous
versions of Enet.

Anybody would have any ideas/pointer on how to resolve
that issue?

Thank you,