[ENet-discuss] Death by a thousand cuts

Bjørn Lindeijer bjorn at lindeijer.nl
Tue Mar 28 01:45:58 PST 2006

> So I went through ENet and managed to shave off a minimum of 12 bytes
> from the protocol headers. In the context of the above example, that
> saves the client from sending an extra 1.8 KB/s and the server from
> sending 10.8 KB/s, minimum. It required some trickery to fit 32 bit time
> stamps and sequence numbers into 16 bits, but it seemed to work out
> rather well.
>
> So, FYI: there may be a 1.1 coming out soon.

It is great to hear that you're working on optimizing this library.
One concern though is compatibility, about which you didn't mention
anything. Am I right to assume that for example an ENet 1.1 using
server will not be able to communicate with an ENet 1.0 using client?
If this is true, could there be a custom connection failed error so
that is it easy for the application to feedback the problem to the
user?

Regards,
Bjørn