[ENet-discuss] boost.pool & enet

Beau Albiston albiston at cynergy.com
Sat Jul 22 21:35:56 PDT 2006

The only time I have ever ran into a fragmentation problem with a memory
manager was when allocating very large, variable sized chunks of memory
(which is probably the worst case for most MMs).  If your protocol
consists of many small, same-size packet types, then it's probably
redundant to implement a pool system.  However, there are other
instances where you may want the overhead in order to have some other
structural feature that the MM doesn't provide, like linked blocks
(linked list, skip list, etc), and the one you mentioned (deallocating
large swaths of memory blocks at once--although, running a destructor
for each block is suspect).

Now that enet allows you to set the packet data pointer, hooking up a
pool system should be really easy.

-Beau