[ENet-discuss] ENET_DISCONNECT_EVENT

Doug Kimzey doug.kimzey at dpra.com
Fri Jan 20 09:36:30 PST 2006

After an eNet client establishes a connection to an eNet Host, the
client is disconnected after approximately 30 seconds.  We have traced
this on the host side to a call to enet_peer_reset in the
enet_protocol_check_timeouts(...) function:

       if (outgoingCommand -> roundTripTimeout >= outgoingCommand ->
roundTripTimeoutLimit)

       {

          event -> type = ENET_EVENT_TYPE_DISCONNECT;

          event -> peer = peer;

          enet_peer_reset (peer);

          return 1;

       }

In this case the roundTripTimeout equals the roundTripTimeoutLimit of
16,000 ms (or 16 seconds).

I have added a call from the client application to enet_peer_ping(...)
that is on a timer to fire every 2 seconds - but the disconnect still
occurs.  The host runs a perpetual loop that calls
enet_host_service(...).

Would you have any suggestions or recommendations?

One thing I noticed from the Cube Legends source is that they added a
PING / PONG message so that whenever a PING message is received on the
server, it immediately does an enet_peer_send of a PONG message back to
the client.  Are there other and better ways to handle "keep-alive"
packets?

-Doug

Doug Kimzey

Software Developer