[ENet-discuss] Reliable sends, part 2

Gregory Hassett greg at hassett.com
Wed May 11 04:19:21 PDT 2005

Hi, Dizan explained the following as a method for a sender to determine when
a reliable packet has arrived at its destination (and been acknowledged).

"Pease take what I say with a bit of salt. I think that you should look into
the corresponding peer's sentReliableCommands and outgoingReliableCommands
lists. Those lists contain EnetOutgoingCommand elements having a packet
field. If your packet appears in one of those lists then it hasn't been
acknowledged yet."

I looked into the routine enet_protocol_handle_acknowledge in protocol.c,
and it appears that this routine removes a command from a (sending) peer's
"sentReliableCommands" when the destination has ack'ed the packet.  At this
point I can be sure that the packet has arrived.

I can't seem to find a corresponding location where the command is removed
if it has timed out or otherwise failed to reach its destination.  Can
someone with more knowledge of enet internals advise me on where I could
"trap" to determine that a message has failed to reach its destination
(after the last attempt times out)?

Thanks!

Greg