[ENet-discuss] ENet wire protocol stability.

Adam D. Moss adam at gimp.org
Tue Nov 23 03:34:22 PST 2004

Hello!

I've been an academic admirer of enet for
a while, and now I'm finally about to take
the plunge into creating enet bindings for
my programs.  Very exciting.

I have a question though: how prone is ENet
to incompatible changes at the wire level over
time (and, to an extent, at the API level)?

I ask because I'm aware that ENet development is
an ongoing process and I'd like to pick up any
improvements and bugfixes that occur as time goes
on, but I really want to avoid breaking network
play for users with executables embedding mismatched
ENet versions.

No developer likes having their hands tied w.r.t.
breaking their own protocols in the interest of a
better protocol but I was wondering how frequently
the on-wire protocol of ENet has changed in the past.
I get the impression that this is a very rare thing
and big warnings will probably get posted to this list!

Thanks,
--Adam