[ENet-discuss] ENet for use over wireless networks

Jim Purbrick Jpurbrick at climaxgroup.com
Thu May 13 03:05:45 PDT 2004

> Care to describe how yours works instead of just leaving me
> in the dark? :)

:-)

It's based on RAP, which is described here.

http://www-inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~ee290t/sp04/lectures/rejaie_15.pdf

I've just extended it to deal with unreliable data and added prioritisation.
When a mix of reliable and unreliable data is being sent, the acks for the
reliable data provide feedback on network conditions via detected packet
loss. When all data in flight is unreliable I piggyback pings with the
unreliable data so that I get some ack feedback to base the rate adjustment
decisions on.

In terms of implementation I kept the ENet state machine, but removed the
sliding window and instead work out a send budget based on the send rate in
each call to sendOutgoingCommands exactly as you described in your post. The
rate adjustment decisions work exacly as described in the RAP paper.