[ENet-discuss] ENet for use over wireless networks

Jim Purbrick Jpurbrick at climaxgroup.com
Tue May 11 09:50:14 PDT 2004

> The conditions I tried to optimize the throttle for are also
> similar to this. I wanted ENet to play well over 56K modems (and Cube
> does indeed work awesomely over 56K modems if I do say so myself).
> However, modems have a lot of connection "noise" on them, so the
> throttle has to be reasonably skeptical about connections
> getting worse
> for it to kick in (i.e. only should really go off if someone starts
> downloading some MP3s while they're playing Cube), but it
> still needs to be effectively and responsive for those situations.

Unfortunatly, this makes ENet TCP unfriendly, which may make it punished by
some routers, and self punishing on others (its traffic gets queued
separatly, so latency builds up in the router).

> So, I think the existing throttling mechanism would do okay. Where it
> would do bad in your setting I think is only those places
> where it would
> fall down for internet use in general. In fact, ENet seems to
> work better
> on bad connections than it does on very good connections
> (funny, eh?).
> But I'm working on a new throttle  which I may have done in a
> month or
> two that should be better. :)

I've got my TCP friendly RAP based rate adaption mechanism sorted now and
it's working nicely, I'd recommend that approach.