[ENet-discuss] Unreliable Data Loss

Jim Purbrick Jpurbrick at climax.co.uk
Tue Jan 27 09:25:17 PST 2004

I've got a simple Windows test client sending 1 KB/s of unreliable data over
loopback to a server which sends 100 copies of the data back unreliably to
the client. Enet is set up with no throttling in either direction.

If the client process has the focus I experience no data loss, if the server
has focus, the server receives all the data sent by the client, but the
client only receives 40% of the data sent in reply.

The machine is only using 4% CPU, so the client doesn't seem to be starved
of CPU. I've added some logging and it looks like the server is sending
blocks of 100 unreliable packets. When the client has focus it receives all
100 packets. Without focus it only receives the first few packets from each
block.

Any Idea what's causing this? Presumably in a low-load, loopback test like
this I shouldn't see any packet loss.